Thursday, April 1, 2010

Why choose John Steinbeck?

I chose to do my English research project on the award winning author John Steinbeck because he is one of the authors I enjoyed reading the most during school. When I was in 9th grade I read Of Mice and Men in my English class. I really liked the story and I actually read it all, which was a first. The next year I was assigned to read The Grapes of Wrath, and I actually liked it, even though it was so long. I have also read a couple of his books outside of class. Recently my little sister was assigned to read The Pearl in her English class and she asked me to help her with it. Since I hadn’t read it before I just now started reading it and I enjoy it as well. I also bought East of Eden a few months ago and I’m looking forward to having a chance to read it.

John Steinbeck, winner of a Nobel Prize for literature in 1962, was born in 1902 in Salinas, CA, the same city I was born in. East of Eden takes place in the Salinas Valley. Part of the reason I want to read this book is because I haven’t been back to Salinas since I was a baby. I don’t know what Salinas is like, but I think that by reading East of Eden I can learn a little bit about my birthplace, since the valley will probably be described in it. I know Steinbeck has a long list of published works and I’ve only read a few, but I hope to read more of his books soon.

Sources:

"Steinbeck, John." Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th Edition (2009): 1. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 2 Apr. 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment